No Call Out Fee
Get a Quote

How To Minimize Damage From Overflowing Water At Home

Waking up one fine morning with both feet in the water is not very pleasant. Whether it’s because the washer’s hose broke, the water heater broke, or the upstairs neighbor let his tub run too long, you have to react quickly. Before you panic, we’ve prepared this handy, step-by-step guide to follow in the event of water damage.

Close everything

Shut off all water sources in the house first to prevent the damage from getting worse. If you are in a condo or apartment, it is possible that the leak is coming from the upper floor. Go upstairs quickly and ask to cut off the source of the leak. Also, avoid using outlets and electricity in the flooded room. Water and electricity do not mix and could cause a short circuit and potentially a fire. As a solution to the water damage Brisbane options, this is the best that you can opt for.

Save the furniture

In order to avoid losing furniture or souvenirs, hurry and move as many items as possible from the flooded room to a dry place away from any other potential damage. If your personal belongings are already affected by the leak, place them outside (if possible) in order to dry out as much as possible and thus prevent the appearance of mold.

Pick up the phone

While your first instinct would be to contact a disaster cleaning company, you need to call your insurance company first. This generally works with a specific agency that can offer you this type of service. Your insurer will appoint a claims adjuster who will be able to give you some advice on the next steps. Then it’s time to call the cleaning company.

If you are in an apartment, communicate quickly with your landlord, while if you are in a condo, notify the condominium association, especially if it affects other units than yours.


In order to properly document the incident, be sure to take pictures of the entire water damage site and damaged objects BEFORE the cleaning company arrives. You will thus have references for your file. Do this even if you are in an apartment because you may have to make a claim with your insurer for some damage to your personal property.


FREE CALL: 0417305050
Jimboomba, QLD 4280